With Charlotte Howorth, LCSW
A 2-Day Interactive Online Course
(no special computer skill or equipment required)
June 30th, 2018 – 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM Eastern Time
July 1st, 2018 – 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM Eastern Time
10:00 am to 1:30 pm Eastern Time (morning in the Americas; afternoon in Europe/Africa, night in Asia/Australia; click this link for your time
- Describe the history and research behind Focusing.
- List the 6 steps of focusing
- Demonstrate how to make contact with and experience one’s own felt sense.
- Demonstrate how to open up one’s own felt sense using symbolization be in the form of words, images, and gestures.
- List and demonstrate the ways a clinician can help a client do the same.
- Describe and demonstrate how to make one’s felt sense experience into a ‘something’ i.e. something deeply angry and sad.
- Demonstrate and list how to help a client make their experience into a ‘something’.
- Describe and demonstrate how to guide one’s self internally to open a felt sense by finding the right distance from the experience and keeping it company with an open and gentle attitude.
- Demonstrate and describe how to help a client find the right distance from their experience and keep it company with an open and gentle attitude.
- Describe and demonstrate how to cultivate an open curious attitude to both one’s own, and the client’s felt experience.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Workshops will be conducted using a live video link where students will be able to see each other and the teacher, Charlotte Howorth. Class size is limited to optimize learning. This class will be two three-and-a-half hour sessions over a weekend. The first will be on Saturday and the second on Sunday.
The video link will be an easy to use format called Zoom. You will need to have a computer/mobile device with a camera so that we can see you. Calling in without video is possible but not preferred. Charlotte will send Zoom instructions in advance of the course.
Modes of Learning:
These workshops will be a mixture of didactic and experiential. Charlotte will perform demonstrations and students will also experience the teachings through both group exercises and working in dyads together.
Ms. Howorth (www.howortherapy.com) is a licensed clinical social worker and Certified Focusing Trainer.
- Teaches and supervises psychotherapists in how to use Focusing in their practice internationally.
- Is on the faculty of The Relational Focusing Oriented Psychotherapy program headed by Lynn Preston in New York City, where she teaches and supervises psychotherapists taking the program.
- Has 23 years experience, teaching, counseling, supervising, and writing.
- Lecturer in Social Work, Columbia University, NY.
- Clinical Consultant, CHDFS (Center for Human Development and Family Services).
- Private Practice for adults, children, couples, and families in NY.
To receive continuing education for this offering, 100% attendance is required. Make-up classes may be scheduled with the Trainer (for an additional fee.) Read Course Objectives
The International Focusing Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The International Focusing Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content. CE Hours/Credits awarded: 5
The International Focusing Institute, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0055. Contact Hours awarded: 5
Limited registration: Please register promptly -- we anticipate full enrollment.
$200 for members, $225 for non-members.
Register online (below), or by calling (845) 480-5111, or by mailing a check (USD only) to The International Focusing Institute, 15 N. Mill St., Nyack, NY 10960, USA. To inquire about payment plans, call Elizabeth Cantor at (845) 480-5111.
Not a member? Join now and return to this page to receive member discount pricing.
Registration closes on June 27th, 2018.
THE SMALL PRINT
Refund policy: A full refund minus a $50 administrative fee for cancellations 14 days before the start date. Cancellations less than 14 days before the start date are nonrefundable. The International Focusing Institute reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule for insufficient enrollment or for other unanticipated reasons. In such cases you will be given a choice of applying your tuition to future programs, or having the full enrollment fee returned to you.
Two-Year Online Interactive Certification
Introduction to Focusing One and Introduction to Focusing Two serve as a prerequisite for a Two-Year Online Interactive Certification Course with Charlotte Howorth, LCSW. The certification course has a projected start date of October 28th, 2018. See full listing here.
For more information:
For questions regarding registration: Elizabeth at email@example.com or (845) 480-5111
For questions about course content: Charlotte at firstname.lastname@example.org
Product Code: W-180630-L1